If you’ve recently settled into a new Camelot home, the natural next step is to start making your house feel like a home. For many new homeowners, designing the interior of their home is a way to express their personal style, but for others, it can be a daunting task. At Camelot, we know that designing a home is more than just filling it with stuff, it’s creating the backdrop for a lifetime of memories.
When designing your home, knowing where to start can be tricky. Before you begin, it’s a good idea to determine your design style. Luckily, it’s not hard to do. With the recent influx of home design shows and online design resources, there’s no better time to determine your favorite design style. Learn how with this simple five-step guide.
- Choose your color palette. Start by heading to your local paint store and picking out paint colors that you like — even if you aren’t going to paint. Narrow it down to about 3-5 colors to create your color palette. One color will be the primary or base color and will serve as the anchor of your design. Many interior designers recommend that this base color be a neutral, either in the beige or grey color families. Then, add accents and color, whether it’s a bright coral or even a dark navy for some neutral contrast.
- Find an inspiration piece. In order to a create a cohesive look, it’s important to have a few things that serve as the pillars of your design. Instead of going out shopping for everything at once, finding an inspiration piece first will ensure a meaningful design. Look for some accent pillows, an art piece, a chair, wall sconces, anything that encompasses your color palette and represents your design vision. There’s only one rule: you must love it! This is important to define a style you’ll love for years.
- Layer in the fixtures, features, and finishes. Rest assured, when you buy a Camelot home, you won’t have to worry about changing out things like cabinets or shower heads, but this is the next step to determining your design style. Beyond the knobs and pulls, choose which finishes you’ll bring into your home. Many designers advise that it’s okay to mix metals and other natural elements. For example, you might choose to embrace natural wood features with a reclaimed wood dining table or whitewashed credenza. Or, bring the outdoors in with indoor plants that add neutral pops of color.
- Add personality and character. Lifestyle is a big determining factor of your design style. Before you get settled into a new home, determine what each room will be used for, depending on your lifestyle. Will you need a home office? How about a kids playroom? Better yet, an adult playroom complete with a pool table and bar cart? These designated spaces are where you can add your personal touch, like an heirloom oak desk or a chalkboard menu for the kitchen. Determine some one-of-a-kind custom pieces that will add character and personality to your style.
- Give your design style a name. Using your color palette, inspiration pieces, finishes, and design personality, you can now give your design style a unique name. Start with a time period, geographic location, or color palette, and then add an adjective that best describes your style. Some name ideas include Vintage Bohemian, Classic Hamptons, French Country, and Rustic Elegance. Now that you have your design style, it’s time to start designing.
At Camelot, we understand that luxury living includes styling a home you’ll love for years to come. That’s why our homes are built with unique architectural design and thoughtful details to enhance your design style. Call Camelot at 480-367-4300 today or visit our website to learn more about our luxury home communities in the Phoenix metro area.