The master bathroom is one of the most important rooms in any luxury home. Today’s discerning buyers are looking for upscale features that make showering, bathing and getting ready in the morning more comfortable, from heated floors and rainfall showerheads to double sinks. High functionality and a contemporary, spa-like atmosphere are hallmarks of the most desirable bathrooms.
For example, spa-styled master baths in the Camelot homes at White Horse in Scottsdale, Arizona come with colored quartz, limestone or granite slab countertops. Trendy undermount sinks and polished chrome Brizo™ bathroom fixtures complete the lavish look. Whether you’re purchasing a newly built residence in one of our communities, upgrading your existing bath or building a custom dream home, here are five crucial questions to ask when designing a luxury bathroom:
- How does my bathroom need to function? Look at how you use your bathroom daily. Do you take quick showers and primp in minutes, or lounge in the tub reading your favorite magazine? Do you get ready here, or in your bedroom? You’re going to have to get personal here. Consider whether your space should be a high-tech, functional space for quick exits, or a spa-like retreat.
- Do I need a tub? If you don’t take baths, you probably don’t need a tub. Many modern luxury homeowners opt to install larger showers with wall-jets, rain showerheads, waterproof speakers, glass doors etc., rather than add a jetted spa tub they’ll never use. Worried about resale value? Renovation experts are split over the necessity of a tub in the master bath. If you’re worried your tub-free room will scare away future buyers, consider leaving space for a later add-on. Or, upgrade a secondary bath with a soaking tub.
- What extras do I want? While you may not spend all day in the bathroom, you still want to be comfy in your new space. There’s no end to the amenities that can be added to a new luxury bathroom or remodel. Want a drink while you soak? Install a wine fridge. Love a long bath? Install a water-resistant TV (yes, they do exist). There are even smart toilets equipped with seat warmers, dryers and motion sensors!
- What will I need in the future? Two of the most important questions that bathroom designers ask is, “How old are you?” and “How long do you plan to stay here?” These queries might seem strange when all you want to do is have a luxury soak, but age can help you think ahead. Example: If you plan to stay in your home post-retirement, consider adding a decorative handrail that doubles as a towel rack.
- How much should I customize? There’s no stock answer to this question. According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2017 Cost vs. Value report, the average cost of an upscale bathroom remodel is just under $60,000. According to the same report, resale value – the amount you’re likely to recoup when you sell – is closer to $35,000, or 59.1% of your initial cost. So, while it’s important to choose neutral materials and decorator fixtures, you’re not likely to make a mint when you sell. Instead, focus on adding functional value for yourself and your family.
Ultimately, your luxury bathroom should be aesthetically pleasing and suit your family’s needs. Opt for a balance of trendy and practical; customized, but not so personalized that buyers would be turned off should you decide to sell later. For information on the luxury bathroom features available in our Camelot homes, CLICK HERE or call 480-367-4300.